Saturday, April 9, 2011

In the Moment with Dave Razowsky

David Razowsky has over twenty years of experience acting and directing with Second City, IO West and Steppenwolf, and he has taught improvisation for over fifteen years. He has served as consultant to Dreamworks, Whose Line Is It Anyway?, and Boom Chicago. He served as Artistic Director and Dean of Second City Training Center, and as Faculty in the California State University system. He continually teaches improv around the world, from Fresno, to Denver, to Norway and The Netherlands, and continues to act and direct professionally in Los Angeles.David has appeared on Spin City, Roseanne, The Weekenders, The Young and the Restless, Working and many other TV shows. He's a frequent ensemble member and writer for the Second City Mainstage in both Chicago and Los Angeles.

How were you first introduced to improvisation?

In 1982 or 1983 I auditioned for a show in Chicago and didn't get the part. As a matter of fact, I had a horrible audition. I think I used a Lawrence Ferlinghetti poem as an audition piece, which shows you where I was. It was just a piece I liked. I knew nothing about auditioning. Obviously. About a week after the audition I got a call from the director of Geese Theatre Company for Prisons, saying he got my name from the director of the show I just auditioned for, and would I like to audition for his show. Why not? I was 25, I wasn't getting any jobs as a photojournalist (I have a bachelors degree), I was working in a camera store (sort of like a writer getting a job selling pencils), and I was eager to move onto the next stage of my life (nicely punned, Dave). I auditioned, got cast, and was improvising non-comedic theatre in prisons across the United States for the next 10 months. It changed my life in wonderful ways.

The cast of Stacy's Not Here features so many wonderful improvisers. How did the group form and get it's name?

Peter Murrieta wanted to put a group of actors together, with the intention of it being like a band: each actor would give a specific feel to the work, they would know their instruments and perform them confidently and organically. We have been together for over 12 years. This is our last month together. Dee Ryan is moving to Chicago with her family. It's sad, but life's only constant is change. As far as how did we come up with the name, we were sitting around trying to come up with a name. I suggested "Stacy's Here," someone thought it was too cute. "Stacy's Not Here" was then suggested. The rest is what made you ask the question.

In addition to being an instructor at iO in Los Angeles, you also teach bi-weekly drop in classes at Theatre Asylum. What do you enjoy most about conducting the drop ins?

My life, my work, my art, my journey has congealed. I see something that inspires me, which I then investigate in my classes through exercises. The majority of workshops I conduct around the country are made up of Drop-In Workshop work. Here's a link to my drop-ins: http://www.davidrazowsky.com/davidrazowsky.com/Drop-In_Class.html

What is your philosophy on the "rules of improv"?

There are no rules of improv. We get in trouble in life as in art when we attach ourselves to dogma. The only thing that matters in improv (as in life) is how connected and mindful you are in this moment. Your whowhatwheredon'taskquestions crap clouds people's minds and dilutes what's really important: how do you feel about what was just said? Be eager to respond, don't be eager to talk.

Is there any difference between an improviser and an actor in your opinion?

An improvisor has three emotions: lust, anger and lustanger. An actor has a long tail, a full emotional palette, is vulnerable, is present.

You are an instructor at the Master Improv Retreat for Artistic New Directions in Big Indian, NY each summer. Could you describe to our readers what they should expect from this workshop?

This is one awesome intensive, working with the finest directors of theatrical improvisation in the country. Directors and teachers from Second City and The Groundlings. Gary Austin, an original member of The Committee will be there. Michael Gellman, the man who coined the phrase "long-form improv" will be there. Rachel Hamilton, one of the best improv instructors working out of New York City will be there. It's a beautiful place, the food is delicious, and you work from 10 in the morning until our daily student performances at night. There is nothing like it in the country. Nothing. I've been associated with it for over five years, and I still can't believe I get to work with these great folks. Here's the website: http://www.artisticnewdirections.org/retreats.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment