Monday, March 7, 2011

In the Moment with Susan Messing

Susan Messing, a NJ native and graduate of Northwestern University’s Theatre School, is an alumna of the iO, Second City’s Mainstage, and a founding member of Chicago’s infamous Annoyance Theatre. She continues to teach and perform improvisational comedy @ iO, The Annoyance, Second City, and is an adjunct instructor for DePaul University. Her standup act with her puppet, Jolly, was featured at the HBO/US Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, and on Comedy Central’s Premium Blend and NBC’s Late Fridays, and her most impressive bit movie role was as a bad stripper in a halo brace in Let’s Go to Prison! Susan has been an improviser and comedian for over twenty four years. Nice things said about Susan include Chicago Magazine calling her “Funniest Woman in Chicago,” Chicago Reader naming her “Best Improviser” and recipient of CIF 2010 “Improviser of the Year.” You can see her fuck around in her critically-acclaimed show, Messing with a Friend, every Thursday @ The Annoyance, now in its 5th year.

How were you first introduced to improvisation?

Northwestern University has a show called "The Meow" show, which is a combination of sketch and short form. I never was in it but I remember acknowledging that it existed. During my junior year, I heard there were auditions for something called "The Harold" at this fairly new place, The ImprovOlympic. I didn't make the cut, but after graduation in 1986 I rediscovered ImprovOlympic (now iO because of threats of lawsuits from the International Olympic Committee), started taking classes, drank the KoolAid, and I was hooked.

What is your advice to female improvisers who say they are tired of playing mothers, wives, girlfriends etc.?

Stop playing mothers, wives, girlfriends, etc. Is this still an issue? Seriously? Even if I'm playing these roles, there's no stereotypical template we need to follow. My moms have polio, my girlfriends have no arms, my wives have a daisy chain in the next room. Just trying on stuff that interests me. Mix it up- and FYI- I don't recommend this for offstage.

How do you instruct newer improvisers from worrying about "looking stupid" on stage and letting go?

The worst thing that will happen if you look stupid onstage is that people will laugh at you and we're doing comedy so fuck you. See? Always works, even "unintentional" comedy.

What can you tell our readers about Martin de Maat (teacher and artistic director at Second City who passed away in 2001)?

Martin was a caregiver in the truest sense of the world. When he did the hokey pokey and turned the class around, THAT'S what it was all about. And yes, I am serious that he would have the class do the hokey pokey. He insisted on celebrating the individual and the collective whole. He was a wonderful teacher and an exceptional person.

So many of your contemporaries have moved to Los Angeles or New York. Why have you chosen to stay in Chicago?

I stay in Chicago for two reasons- I feel that the work here is always evolving at such a great rate and I feel that it's the most supportive place to raise my child. I love LA and New York but Chicago is home.

Has being a mom influenced your style of comedy?

I'm not sure if being a mom has influenced my style of comedy as much as the struggle of dealing with being awake and alert for a late night show. That said, somewhere in the recesses of my mind I am a bit concerned that one day my daughter will watch a pile of dvds of my show and wonder about my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment