Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In the Moment with Bob Dassie

Robert Dassie is originally from Chicago where he studied with many improv luminaries including Del Close, toured with the Second City and co-created and performed in several long-form improvisation shows such as Trio and Quartet (at Improv Olympic) and Close Quarters (at Second City etc). He has appeared regularly in New York at the UCB hosted Del Close Marathon with Dasariski and his two-person show WeirDass, ventured out to Edinburgh Festival Fringe with Baby Wants Candy and has appeared and taught at improv festivals around the globe.

Bob can be seen on HBO's "Funny or Die Presents..." starring in "Carpet Bros." along with Tim Meadows, David Spade and Will Farrell. You can also check him out live every Thursday at the IOWest in Quartet or often at the UCB Theatre in Dasariski or A.S.S.S.S.C.A.T.


How were you first introduced to improvisation?

I was in my high school jazz band so I first heard about improvisation in regards to music. Later, I was part of my high school improv troupe and I got a little taste of improv on stage. But in both cases we didn't know what we were doing, so I consider my first real introduction to improvisation was in my first class at Second City Northwest (the suburb version of the one in Chicago).

You had a number of interesting teachers (Stephen Colbert, Steve Carrell, Dave Razowsky) when you began your improv career. What is the most gratifying part of teaching improvisation for you?

Yeah, those we're my first three teachers almost in order. Just flip Steve Carrell (#3) with Dave Razowsky (#2). They all lived in Chicago at the time and would have to drive out to the 'burbs to teach students that, generally speaking, were just taking the class on a lark. They could of phoned it in but I remember each one being very passionate to this art and its process. We were never talked down to or treated as anything less than students of the art form. They set the bar high and when I teach I strive to have the same reverence for my students and passion for the work as they had. If I have some hand in feeding the fire and I see students really drawn in to this work because of what I'm teaching, I find that gratifying.

You have been a part of so many successful improv groups (Trio, Quartet, Close Quarters, Dasariski). Do you have any advice for newly formed groups on what they should be focusing on?

Do shows that you love to do. Work with like-minded people that you love to work with and that are pursuing similar goals as you are in regards to the work. And I don't say this lightly: have fun and play.

You perform with your wife Stephanie Weir in the duo Weir-Dass. Do you have a process to evaluate your shows?

The way I evaluate WeirDass shows is similar to the way I evaluate most shows I do, especially with smaller group. Usually, general goals are mentioned before shows as well as bringing basic improv principles to the front of our mind. We know that we can never get lazy so it's always good to wake up the 'ol consciousness before going on stage. Afterward (not immediately) we'll talk about the show and see what worked and what didn't and why. We'll check in to see if goals were met, both personal and for the show. One thing we don't do is blame. If something went wrong or it got harry, chalk it up to experience, reference it before the next show and learn from it.

What was the premise and inspiration for your scripted show Vicarious with Sean Conroy?

Sean and I live very different lives. I've been happily married for ten years and have two amazing kids and a great little dog. Sean is single and does single person things. We are both fascinated by how the other one lives in a vicarious (get it?!) sort of way. We we're discussing just that at the end of 2009 and we decided that it would be fun to juxtapose our worlds on stage. So we did. There's a movie coming out with a similar premise except these characters do a switch-a-roo in their lives. We had nothing to do with this movie.

You star in The Carpet Brothers along with Tim Meadows, David Spade, and Will Ferrell on HBO's Funny or Die presents. What has been the impact of Funny or Die on the comedy world in your opinion?

Well, I'm hardly an expert on this topic, but I will say that Funny or Die has given people an outlet specifically for comedy that, arguably, they didn't have before. And because the people behind it are so respected in the comedy world that the site has a credibility that other sites can't touch.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great Blog. I do a podcast in Chicago and have had a lot of similar people on. Just wanted to thank you for doing such a good job.

    ReplyDelete